- A short, compelling video trailer about using the CANDOR approach at MedStar. The patient profiled, Jack Gentry – a Baltimore police officer as well as MedStar Vice President for Risk Management Larry Smith and other family and staff you see in the trailer will present on the first day of Taking Action with CANDOR.
- A new paper from Health Services Research, just published in August, that evaluates the impact of a Communication and Resolution Program on outcomes and liability. Co-author Tim McDonald, MD JD, will be faculty at Taking Action with CANDOR. Dr. McDonald has just joined the MedStar team as Director of the Center for Open and Honest Communication at the MedStar Institute for Quality and Safety. Principal findings:
The intervention nearly doubled the number of incident reports, halved the number of claims, and reduced legal fees and costs as well as total costs per claim, settlement amounts, and self-insurance costs.
- A new Taking Action with CANDOR Conference brochure profiling the exciting slate of faculty presenters and facilitators, including
U.S. Senator Bob Casey (D-PA)
Maryland House of Delegates Member Kathleen Dumais (D-Montgomery County), sponsor of State legislation (HB 606) supporting CANDOR like approaches.
Conference Brochure (PDF attached)
- Taking Action with CANDOR Registration Page with updated information: www.medstarhealth.org/quality-and-safety/communication/candor-program/candor-conference)
- More information on the CANDOR, with links to the actual AHRQ Toolkit: www.medstarhealth.org/quality-and-safety/communication/candor-program/
Joint Accreditation Statement:
In support of improving patient care, Vizient, Inc. is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This program is designated for 13.75 hours.
Vizient, Inc. designates this live activity for a maximum of 13.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Vizient, Inc. is authorized to award 13.75 hours of pre-approved ACHE Qualified Education credit (non-ACHE) for this program toward the advancement, or recertification in the American College of Healthcare Executives. Participants in this program wishing to have the continuing education hours applied toward ACHE Qualified Education credit should indicate their attendance when submitting application to the American College of Healthcare Executives for advancement or recertification.
Vizient, Inc. will award CEUs to each participant who successfully completes this program. The CEU is a nationally recognized unit of measure for continuing education and training programs that meet certain criteria (1 contact hour = 0.1 CEU).